Could James Franco still get an Oscar nod amid multiple sexual harassment allegations? That’s what fans, critics and potential nominees are wondering as we approach the Academy Awards nominations announcement.
Franco won the Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Musical or Comedy last weekend. Some thought that made The Disaster Artist star a favorite for the Best Actor at the Oscars, as well.
Franco supported the #TimesUp movement at the Globes. Soon women came forward on Twitter. Then, Los Angeles Timespublished a story in which five women, including four of his former acting students, accused him of sexual harassment.
Franco discussed the allegations in an interview with Seth Meyers last week. “I think what I really learned, like I said, there are stories that need to get out, people that need to be heard,” Franco said. “I have my own side of this story, but I believe in these people that have been underrepresented getting their stories out enough that I will hold back things that I could say just because I believe in it that much. If I have to take a knock because I am not going to try and actively refute things then I will, because I believe in it that much.”
James Franco has spent the last few days responding to sexual misconduct allegations (Photo: Splash News).
But all this controversy has raised questions about whether Franco will and should get an Oscar nomination. The scandal may have come too late to affect the voting process. Oscar nominations were due on Friday, so many voters may have submitted their ballots before the LA Times story was published.
The Disaster Artist is a comedy, and the Academy tends to favor dramas. So it is possible he would not have been nominated anyway.
But even if he is nominated, it is hard to imagine Franco winning the big prize. The Academy did give an Oscar to Casey Affleck last year even though he was the subject of other allegations. But the Academy faced backlash for this decision.
The scandal could affect James Franco in other ways, as well. It could also lead to the premature end of his HBO series, The Deuce. Franco stars in the drama about the porn industry and also serves as a director and producer.
The Academy may not want to give an Oscar to an accused sexual harasser for two years in a row (Photo: ITM / Splash News).
The series is currently in production on Season 2, and Franco is still filming the show as scheduled. The show’s co-creator also insists there have been no allegations of misconduct by Franco on the set.
Still, it is unclear if Franco would be fired from the series before Season 3, or if the show would be canceled entirely. He would not be the first actor to lose a role after being accused of sexual misconduct. Kevin Spacey was fired from House of Cards after numerous allegations. And Ed Westwick was replaced on an upcoming BBC series after being accused of rape.
TV producers are going to great lengths to distance themselves from accused sexual harassers. Food Network even edited a recent Iron Chef Showdown episode to remove judge John Besh after he was accused of fostering a culture of sexual harassment at his restaurants. This Is Us similarly edited out a reference to Spacey in one episode after his scandal broke.
Do you think HBO should cancel The Deuce? Let us know your take in the comments section below!